Wednesday, May 6, 2015

In Other News

Last week, I finished my first post-baby 5k!


My friend and co-worker, Allie, and her mom, did it with me. Allie and I were on Team CF Superheroes and we raised $595 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!! Of course since my health was so unpredictable leading up to the run, my training had been sporadic and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to complete the whole thing without stopping to walk. But I signed up to do it and quitting wasn't an option. My goal was to run at least the first half (1.5 miles) and then I'd see how I was doing from there.


There ended up being over 7,000 runners just for the 5k that evening and the atmosphere was amazing!! I typically run with music on, but there were so many people cheering us on that I was able to feed off their energy and distract myself from the fact that I was actually running. Plus it helped having two running partners who set a great slow and steady pace for me.

Waiting to start
It took us about eight minutes to cross the start line after the first runners began, that's how packed it was!

Running selfie. Fail.
We made it to the half way point without walking, so we slowed down to grab a quick drink at the water station, then got right back into running. Thankfully my lungs and body were feeling great and were cooperating...I swear it was the energy of the crowd. Once we made it to mile two, I told myself that I was going to finish this without walking - I'd come this far, I could do one more mile. Around 2.25 miles, something just clicked in me to get moving. I turned on my Pandora, left Allie and her mom and started running a bit faster (which I later learned made me miss Tim & Anna along the street cheering for me because I was on the other side of the street & had my ear buds in, bummer!). When I rounded the corner towards the finish line, I decided to sprint the last 50 yards (we finished in the football stadium). It felt so good! After being so sick and not training as well as I could, I was still able to accomplish this goal. Although this was my slowest 5k (39:32), it was definitely my favorite one I've ever done! I was running to support CF. I was running with CF. I was running in an amazing crowd and atmosphere, and with great support with me and waiting for me.

Can you spot Allie in the crowd just as she crossed the finish line?! It was so crowded!
 
We did it!!
I knew Tim and Anna were waiting for me somewhere in the stadium, which was another huge motivator to run even faster during that last mile. Even though she'll never remember this day, I really wanted her to be there to see me doing this for our family. I run to keep myself healthier. I run to be the best mom and wife I can be. I want her to know what its like to set a goal, work towards it and achieve it. I'm proud that I was able to complete this 5k and will definitely be signing up to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment