Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Suggestions Welcome!

I'm sure you've heard the saying "No news is good news"...well in regards to our apartment situation, no news is not good news. We've been getting calls and emails in response to our ads and we've had three people come and look at the apartment (one other scheduled and didn't show up), but nothing is sounding too promising right now. The first person who came to look at the place never filled out an application, the second people got denied because they had bad credit, and the third person just came today. She took an application with her, but didn't fill it out and turn it into the office, at least not yet. 
We're debating on what to do now. Really, all we can do is wait, but that's so hard. I hate just waiting, in our awful smelling apartment, for someone to come and decide to sublease. I just want to get out of here! Over the past week, we've packed about half of the apartment up, leaving only kitchen necessities and closet items. Tim also closed all of the vents and covered them with packing tape and cardboard to keep the smoke out, so it doesn't smell as bad, but it's still soaked into the carpet, couches and all of our clothes (pretty much everything). We're trying to figure out how long we should stay before just signing our other lease and moving into the other place, but we don't want to have to make two rent payments for a few months. If we waited until July to move, then we wouldn't be losing any money because we pre-paid our last month's rent when we first signed the lease last year. But I really don't want to be in this apartment until July, especially because we're packed and about ready to go (not to mention the health issue). If we sublease later in April or May, we would still lose 1/2 of our security deposit and have to pay the fees of removing our names off the lease and adding the new person, which is about the amount of a month's rent.  
Part of me just wants to sign the new lease, move into the new place, and pay our last few months rent (April, May, and June) even if we're not living in it just to get out of here. We would be losing the amount of three month's rent, but I kind of think it's worth it to move into a healthier place. 
We're open to suggestions, ideas, comments, or advice on our lovely situation. I adjusted the settings of my blog so that you should be able to make comments without entering all of your information, so please feel free.  We just don't know what to do at this point. I guess I can just keep asking you to keep your fingers crossed that someone will sublease soon or that our neighbors aren't chimneys over the next few weeks until we figure out what to do. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment