Sunday, June 5, 2011

Checking Things Off the List

It's definitely felt like summer this last week, especially weather-wise. Tomorrow is the last day of school and it's only a half day! :) The staff is supposed to be there all day, but we have a "staff meeting" at a local restaurant at 1:00pm.
Tim and I are now able to check our first thing off of our summer to-do list after this weekend. Saturday, Tim spent the whole day at a concert with his friend Chris while I attended my cousin's high school graduation party and my friend's college graduation party. It worked out well because everything was in the same area pretty much, so I was able to drop off and pick up the guys from the concert. They both got pretty burnt, and also very wet as it rained, well poured, for about ten minutes on them, but I know they had a lot of fun. We stayed the night at Chris's house and played Apples to Apples with his family that night (so hilarious!). This morning we came back home to drop off Chris (and check on Archie) and then we headed up to Rockford for the AirFest! 
We loaded up with sunscreen, but of course I still got burnt, but not too bad - it was about 95 degrees and very sunny all afternoon. Next year I'll have to remember two umbrellas for shade (only had one this year), to bring a backpack instead of a purse (easier to carry) and to pack a cooler full of Gatorade for the ride home! A side effect of cystic fibrosis is that my body cannot move salt in and out of it's cells, so it exits through my sweat glands. So when I sweat, especially a lot on a day like today, my body releases salt with the sweat. My skin was covered in salt today (you literally could see it all over my legs) from being so hot. It's much better for me to drink something like Gatorade when I'm outside and sweating because it has salt in it, so it helps me replenish the salt that I'm losing. Obviously, it's still good for me to drink water too, to stay hydrated but anything with salt is good too. So anyway, we went to the nearest gas station as soon as we left the airport to get some Gatorade and they only had one left, and unfortunately it was grape (yuck!) but I had to get it...I survived. Here are some pictures and a quick little video from our day! Enjoy!

The cockpit of the huge helicopter below.

Heavy Metal Jet Team

Heavy Metal Jet Team

Trying to stay cool -- thank goodness we brought that umbrella!!

A retro plane from 1947 called a Cessna.

We're back now and I'm fighting to stay awake. Our show, The Killing, is on tonight at nine, so I have to stay awake to watch it! I think it's time for some dinner and relaxing. Last day of school tomorrow, woo hoo! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment