Sunday, April 15, 2012

Great Strides 2012!

Let me start off by saying THANK YOU to everyone who came out yesterday to the second annual Great Strides in DeKalb!

All week the weather looked terrible for Saturday -- the weathermen were saying how we were supposed to get a ton of storms and a month's worth of rain Friday through Monday, but I was determined not to let a little (or a lot) of rain stop me! We didn't get any rain Friday and when I woke up Saturday morning, it was completely dry. I checked the weather and it looked like we were going to luck out with the rain holding off until late afternoon/evening. I was so excited because I knew less people would come out if it was raining, so I was really hoping we'd have a great turn out....and we did!


I'm not sure how many people were there, but my guess would be maybe 125-150ish. There was a sea of purple with my Friends & Family team and a sea of gray for my Cortland Crew team, and there was also another big team from a near by town. It was so great to see so many people out there supporting CF.

Colleen's Cortland Crew

Colleen's Cortland Crew and Colleen's Friends & Family

Colleen's Friends & Family
This year we held a raffle for the first time with several gift certificates to local restaurants and hang outs. Unfortunately I didn't win anything, but Tim's dad did win a "breakfast for two". Amazingly, we raised $500 just from our raffle!!!

Here's my dad selling raffle tickets -- $1 per ticket, $5 for 6, or $10 for a wingspan!

Here's my friend Chris' wingspan...and a few extras

I think people really had a lot of fun with the wingspan part because they could use anyone's wingspan, so several people wandered around to find the tallest person they could!
We also had a demonstration by the DeKalb County K-9 Unit which was very interesting and entertaining.


Just yesterday we brought in about $14,000 in donations! Plus, the $500 from the raffle. Plus the over $6,000 already donated online before the event. Which means we raised at least $21,000 so far!!! Not too bad for a second year location! Our goal is to hit $25,000 and  I'll get the final amount on Monday when they add everything together and count the last minute donations that were given online. 
Oh, and for those who are waiting to hear the results of our school fundraiser...in one week of change collecting at a K-5 school, the students collected: $783.87!!! I am so proud of them! Since they raised over $500, they have earned a lunch served to them by the principals while watching cartoons in the cafeteria! 

I am so thankful to have so much support by everyone: family, friends, co-workers. I felt so much love and support yesterday, it was amazing! I really hope everyone had as much fun as I did and I can't wait to see how much this walk site grows each year! Here are several more pictures of the event: 


Registration table

Raffle

Part of the Cortland Crew

Love all the lungs!

Back of Cortland Crew t-shirts

Love this picture! Tim's uncle and cousin

Chris & Tim

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you all had a great turn out! That's awesome! I'm glad the rain held off for you! Congrats on all of the money raised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the the weather held up! You guys raised a FANTASTIC amount of money!!! Looks like it was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shirts!! Great job on Great Strides. I love how involved you were! You rock, cyster!!

    ReplyDelete