Friday, June 7, 2013

Probiotics!

**Warning: This post may have "TMI" for some readers - including talk about gas and poop.**
*Also, I am not giving medical advice, just telling you what has worked for me. Please consult your doctor before trying anything new!*

I started taking a daily probiotic (Target generic brand) shortly after my last clinic visit. I had talked with the nutritionist about what and how much I've been eating lately, and I how I was very discouraged because I wasn't gaining any weight. My whole life I've struggled with digestive issues, I think sometimes even more so than lung issues. I've always gone #2 at least twice a day growing up and I've always been very bloated and gassy. It's been extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing, but I just thought, "this is CF". And if you know me personally, or any other CFer (or you've read about it online), CF poop is not pleasant (loose & stinky)...especially when you're going more than once a day.
Here's a list of symptoms according to the CFF website:
People with CF can have a variety of symptoms, including:
  • very salty-tasting skin;
  • persistent coughing, at times with phlegm;
  • frequent lung infections;
  • wheezing or shortness of breath;
  • poor growth/weight gain in spite of a good appetite; and
  • frequent greasy, bulky stools or difficulty in bowel movements.
So, since that was on the list of symptoms, I assumed that all CFers had this problem, and that it was just going to have to be my 'normal'. Days when I went #2 once a day was like heaven!

Anyway, in April when I was talking to the dietitian we were trying to think of what I could do to help my tummy troubles and help keep weight on (because most of what I was eating was just coming out). She asked if I was trying to snack frequently and eat smaller meals - yes, I was already trying that. She asked if I was on an anti-acid (ie: Prevacid, etc) - yes, I'd been on one for quite some time. She asked if I was taking a daily probiotic -- No....that was something new to me! She was excited that there was finally something different for me to try. Probiotics help resort the healthy bacteria back into your gut, that could be killed by antibiotics, to help with digestion. She told me to try taking one a day to see if that helps. Oh man does it help!!!! This may sound ridiculous, but I asked Tim the other night, "When's the last time I farted?" Of course we started laughing, but honestly, it's made that much of a difference for me. It was sometimes daily that I could complain about feeling bloated/gassy/uncomfortable. I haven't felt that way in almost two months since I've started taking this! I now only go #2 once a day and it's formed and wonderful. I know it sounds crazy for me to be talking like this (especially if you don't have CF), but if you have CF and/or live with someone who does, you'll totally understand! I'm not sure if I've gained any weight yet (we don't have a scale in the house), but it's wonderful to be feeling better. I'm hoping this summer the combination of eating frequently and going to the bathroom less will help me gain the pounds I need! :-)

I think I should be a spokes-person for Probiotics!!

2 comments:

  1. I had this problem soooo badly before I was diagnosed. I would go to the bathroom all the time (probably more than twice a day) and the gas and bloating was so uncomfortable! I couldn't figure out why nobody else seemed to have this problem. The only thing that alleviated it was avoiding anything fattening or with dairy (ie: fattening).

    This all made sense when I was diagnosed because I obviously needed enzymes. I still have a hard time eating dairy and really fattening foods (anything fried) because I still associate it with extreme discomfort!

    I am glad the probiotics are working so well for you. Most of my problems disappeared when I switched to Zenpep, but I have been wanting to try probiotics again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very cool you can be so upfront with your poop reporting! And I'm very happy for you, and your husband :o), that the probiotics are working so well. You'd be a very inspiring probiotics spokesperson.

    ReplyDelete