Monday, April 15, 2013

3rd Annual DeKalb Great Strides

As I have been posting for several weeks now, this past Saturday was my first Great Strides walk of the season. I was really looking forward to this one because for the past two years I've been very involved with the planning and organization, and this year I was able to just be a guest. I'm not going to lie, I was a little sad that someone else planned "my" walk this year, but there would have been no way for me to do it living three hours away. Overall, I felt we had a pretty good turn out...considering the wind chill was about 30 degrees and there were a little bit of flurries the night before and the morning of the event. Here are some pictures from the walk:

Everyone bundled up

And we're off!
NIU Drumline pumping everyone up as they walked
through the balloon arch to start :)
Part of Colleen's Cortland Crew! Smiling despite being freezing! :-)

The coldest part of the route! Nothing to block the wind.
If you enlarge the picture, you can see how many people are
walking ahead on the sidewalk!
Raffle prizes - $1 for 1 ticket, $5 for 6, or $10 for a wingspan
I chose a wingspan of my giant friend and got 41 tickets....still didn't win anything though!
Oh well, it's for a good cause, right?!
Most of Colleen's Cortland Crew! :-)
As of Friday, the day before the walk, the walk site had raised almost $15,000. The goal this year was $37,000....I really hope the weather didn't impact the donations that may have been turned in that day! As soon as I know the grand total I'll be sure to update.

A huge THANK YOU to all of my friends who braved the cold & wind to show your support for me and all others with Cystic Fibrosis! Your dedication means SO much to me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was a great day!! I love all the pictures! :)I wish it had been warmer for you all though.

    ReplyDelete