Friday, November 11, 2011

Things to Consider

I've always imagined that I'd grow up to get married, be a teacher, and a mommy. So far, I've got one of those goals accomplished, about half-way towards the teacher one, and not quite at the mommy stage yet. There are so many things to consider when having a child (more than I could even image as I was growing up): Do we have enough money? Do we have space? Will we be good parents? What will we do with the baby when I go back to work?...this list can go on and on, for a 'normal, healthy' couple. But add a mom with CF in the mix and the questions start looking like: Will our child have CF? How will my body handle a pregnancy? How will I keep myself and the baby healthy if he/she has CF? How far do we want to go to 'prevent' having a child with CF, or do we not mess with fate? Will I be able to go back to work after? Do we make enough money on one income if my health declines? Will our families and friends still be supportive if we have two CFers in the family?
It's a lot to think about. Numbers and probabilities start coming in to play such as 1:50, 1:602, or 1:2. Trying to make sense of it all, and trying to make the "right" decision, whatever that may be, is very difficult. I know I've posted about this before (here and here), but it's constantly on my mind and I wish there was an easy answer, but there's not - at least not right now. Isn't everything supposed to happen for a reason?? So, what's supposed to happen? What's the right choice??
By the way, I'm not looking for answers to my questions - I know that this is our choice, and only our choice but this is my way of 'thinking out loud'. 

2 comments:

  1. With CF it seems that nothing comes easy! Every family effected by CF has to battle these very challenging questions and sadly there is no one right answer! I know you and your husband will be able to figure out the right answer for your family.

    I have no idea how my story will play out and my husband tested negative for the CF gene (doesn't give us a 100% guarantee though), but after seeing my sonogram I realized that no matter the outcome I would never regret for a second making the decision that we did.

    Good luck and I hope you can find clarity in your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words. Nothing's 100%, so I think that's the part that worries me. Do we take a chance and not get tested? But if he does get tested, we're really taking a chance then too because, again, nothing's 100%. Just my crazy mind never letting me relax...that's why I said we just go for it - and whatever happens, happens.
    Hope you're feeling well! I love reading all of your blogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete