Monday, February 21, 2011

Books

I love reading! This definitely wasn't the case until I got to college. During high school, I felt "forced" to read, so it wasn't enjoyable. Throughout college, I finally started reading for pleasure, and I'm so glad I did. It's a wonderful stress reliever and I've become awesome at reading while doing my treatments (yes, I can read and shake in my vest at the same time!). Also during college, I gained a love for children's books and saw how important it is for children to have a love of reading, too. I have an enormous collection of children's books for either our future children or my future students...whichever comes first. Tim's gotten me several "banned books" for Christmases and birthdays that I learned about through my Children's Literature class, probably many books you've read or heard of (Lord of the Flies, James & The Giant Peach, Diary of Anne Frank, To Kill a Mockingbird, and A Light In The Attic...there are many more out there)


A few years ago for Christmas Tim got me a book called "Robyn's Book." I had never heard of it before, so I was very curious as to why he got it for me. This is a book that Tim found online written by Robyn Miller, a woman with Cystic Fibrosis born in 1964. It gives many details on her childhood and adulthood. Of course, how she managed her CF was much different than the way I manage it-with all of the new medicine and treatment advancements-her thoughts about living with CF are very personal and insightful. It's a great read, especially to learn more about what it's like living day to day with this disease, especially over 40 years ago.

Another book I've read is called "A Little Love Story" by Roland Merullo. I learned of this book from a fellow CFer I met through a CF chat room. It's a cute little story (fiction) about a new relationship where the woman has CF. This book addresses some issues that come up in a new relationship if one person has CF and has a very interesting ending.

I've also read and own several other books about CF. But, of course, I don't just read books about Cystic Fibrosis. Yes, I'll admit, I've read the entire Twilight Series twice. :) I'm currently finishing up "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (4th one) and am hoping to read the entire series before the final movie comes out. In college, I think I read every Nicholas Sparks books, but "The Guardian" was by far my favorite one because it's not his typical style. I've recently read "Something Borrowed", "Something Blue", and "Love the One You're With" by Emily Giffin. I'm totally into the girly, lovey-dovey books, but don't mind expanding my comfort zone and reading anything recommended by a friend or family member. I really hope you take some time for yourself and read-you really can learn a lot. There really is something out there for everyone--get a library card and explore the library; it's cheaper than buying books! Plus, books are always better than the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment