Friday, February 4, 2011

Smoking...

1) WHY?!?!?!
2) Okay, okay, maybe your parents smoked and now you do, too.
3) God gave you a good set of normal lungs, why are you ruining them when I was given crappy lungs?
4) Please stand 10-20 feet away from entrances to buildings (whatever the regulation is). Fine, you have to smoke, but it shouldn't have to affect me.

I know, this probably sounds harsh, but they're my initial thoughts when I think about people who smoke cigarettes. It bothers me. I'm not a super religious person, but my #3 thought is something I think about often when I see people smoking a lot. Recently we've been smelling cigarette smoke coming in through our vents, thinking it was coming from someone smoking in our building. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from exactly, but I found out the other day. Our downstairs neighbor doesn't live in her apartment full time--she comes and goes. Well the other day, about 5 minutes after she came home, I could smell it. I knew it was from her. It was constant all night, never letting up, and when Tim came home from work he said it smelled so bad like it was coming from our place.
This really bothers me. I feel that I should be able to live in my own apartment without being affected by someone else's nasty habit. I don't know what to do to be comfortable in my own apartment! Tim worked for our property management company last year, so he knows they allow smoking in the buildings because they just charge the tenants more for damage when they move out. I don't want to go down and ask her to stop because she's older and not very friendly....plus its winter, so I understand she doesn't want to go outside to smoke. Again, with it being winter, our heat is on a lot, which means it blows up in our apartment every time it kicks on.
If anyone has suggestions of what I can do, I'd appreciate it; it's very unhealthy for me to be breathing in this smoke. Also, if you live in my area and know of an apartment complex that doesn't allow smoking, I'm up for suggestions, too--our lease is up in the summer, so we're looking to move anyway. (Thanks)

I don't mean for this post to sound so negative, and I'm sorry if you're reading this, you smoke and I'm offending you, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine. I just want to be comfortable in my own apartment and to live in a healthy environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment