Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Urge to Run

I never thought I'd miss running, but I really do. Tim and I have been doing some work out videos a few times a week with a weighted ball which have definitely increased my strength and balance, but I miss running. I know it's probably not the best idea if I'm trying to gain muscle and weight, but it was great airway clearance. I think I'll try to do some weight training a couple days a week with maybe a day of running, just so I don't lose the mileage I built up last year.

Today I tried to mix up my work out routine by doing a few different things, but it just doesn't get my lungs going like running does. This is what I did today: First I did the workout called "Kill Those Legs" to try to build leg muscle, then I did "Malibooty" workout which didn't do too much for me, honestly, and finally I ended with the Standing Abs video which was pretty good and went by quickly -- all of these workouts I found on Pinterest. Although I think these things are good for me, I just don't find them very exciting.

I need to take advantage of the YMCA membership that I have (for free) through my job through May. I'd really like to find a kickboxing class or something to join. I want to find something that will be good cardio and good weight training. The key is to build muscle, not burn too many calories. I should also take advantage of the Y's treadmills while it's still pretty chilly to be running outside.

I cannot wait until it warms up enough so I can start running outside. This Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be in the upper 40s, so I'm hoping after work I can get outside and see how far I can go. It's been about four months (that have flown by) since I've run because I stopped after the Turkey Trot. I'm hoping that the workouts I've done over the past couple months have helped with my leg strength and will help me get back into my running groove faster.

I think I'm going to sign up for a local 5K in March, just to make myself get back into running. I loved doing races last year and I really want to do more this year. This one is called Penguin in the Park and it's on March 23, which gives me about 6 weeks to get my butt in gear. I haven't signed up yet, but I probably will this week. I need something to look forward to, and I think this is just the thing. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I will be eating my birthday cake on March 23 while you will be running :)

    ReplyDelete