Friday, September 20, 2013

A Day in the Life: Chapter Two


Yay! Chapter two is finally out! This chapter focuses on my "Work Life" as a (kindergarten) teacher. I really want to show others with CF, and especially parents to little ones with CF, that having a "normal" life is absolutely possible if you take care of yourself! I'm not saying I've always been the best at that, but once I moved away, went to college and met Tim, then things started looking up for me and that motivation started to come out to take care of myself.

I've always wanted to teach, and I was not going to let CF get in the way of that. Sure, I expose myself to their nasty, germy little bodies, but so what? In a weird way, it kind of motivates me to keep myself super healthy so that I'm not allowing their germs/colds to get me down. I do take precautions, like washing my hands, but I'm not a germ-a-phobe, so that probably helps. Have I been sneezed on by a student - more than once. Same with being coughed on and spit on (from talking, not anger!). I can't put myself in a bubble because I have CF. Teaching is so rewarding. I am impacting the life of a human being - encouraging them to grow, learn and become independent little people. Watching them grow and learn throughout the school year is an amazing thing. And the fact that I get to do that with a new group of 20-something kids every year is awesome!!
I'm just so happy that I pursued my dream of being an educator. Yes, having CF and teaching is sometimes difficult. I've been struggling with my weight since I started (teaching burns LOTS of calories!), and I've caught a couple colds, having to wake up extra early before work everyday to do treatments...but I've never let it get in the way of my job performance. Even if I'm tired, or extra mucusy for a day, I still go into my classroom and give those kids everything I've got because I'm there for them. This is the career path I chose, I wouldn't change it for the world, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability for as long as I possibly can.

So for the parents out there with children with CF - don't keep them in a bubble. Show them how to take care of themselves and live a normal life, finding that balance is possible. Treat them like you would any other child. Encourage them to pursue their dreams. Don't let CF stop them from anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment