Sunday, September 1, 2013

Kalydeco: Day 3

Today I haven't felt much of a difference than I usually feel from day to day. I have noticed that I'm still coughing, but it's not all day long (and it hasn't been since I've started K). The coughing comes in spurts throughout the day (I've noticed it the most a couple hours after I do my morning treatment) and when it comes, it's lots of thick, sticky and green gobs coming out. There was only one gob that came out today that had tiny specks of red, so I'm glad that's getting better. I'll go back to doing my full HTS neb tomorrow with my morning treatment.
Today's evening dose posed a new problem thing to keep in the back of my mind all the time because I've never had to take a regular evening medication (aside from Cipro). Tim and I hopped in the car around 6:15 to head to Menards and as we turned down the first block after our house, I said to Tim, "Oh no, we better be home by 7:00 because I have to take my Kalydeco then." Well, we both knew that wasn't going to happen because Menards is about 15 minutes away and that would leave us 20 minutes to shop - no way! So I decided to just go back around the block to head home and grab it. On the way back to our house I asked Tim to check my purse to see if I already had a protein bar in there, or if I should grab that out of the house, too. He found one in my purse and told me it was 12 grams of fat - perfect! When we got back home, I ran in and grabbed the bottle of Kalydeco and back off to Mendards we went. I felt a little weird eating a protein bar while walking through the store, but whatever. I think I'm going to have to keep my purse well-stocked with protein bars and/or peanuts. And also a cyster recommended keeping two extra pills in my purse for occasions just like this - great idea!

**And finally, I wanted to share a link to this great article from Discover magazine that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation sent me the link to - it's an awesome, informative read! It discusses how/when scientists discovered the CFTR gene in the 1980s and how cystic fibrosis research has progressed since then. It's amazing to learn how much they've been working on creating medications like Kalydeco and how it's all been funded throughout the years. It makes me appreciate the jobs of researches & scientists, and everyone's fundraising efforts even more!!!

*Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that I've had a slight headache today, off and on. I've also been having some stomach pains and bloating today - that could be due to the amount of not-the-healthiest food I've been eating yesterday and today, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment