Friday, May 10, 2013

CF Awareness Month Blog #10 - Pros & Cons

Pros:

  • I think the CF has really helped shape me into the person I am today, and I'm very proud of that person - I'm independent, strong, determined, a leader, optimistic & loving.
  • I've been welcomed with open arms into the great online CF community! It's a wonderful place to meet people who are struggling through similar things and it's also an excellent place to reach out and help others. Thanks to Blogger, CysticLife, CFLiving, Facebook, etc...
  • CF has forced me to be the healthiest version of myself. I want to take care of my body so it can last as long as possible. I feel that if I didn't have CF, I wouldn't understand how precious having a "healthy" body would be, and I don't think I'd take care of myself as well as I do now.
  • Kind of going with the above statement, I feel like I have a greater appreciation for life. Being faced with a life-threatening disease, it makes you appreciate each day that you have knowing that your health could decline really at any moment. Of course, I hate to think like that, I really try to stay positive, and that's really made me enjoy everyday even more! And that's my motivation to be the healthiest version of myself!
Cons:
  • It's time consuming! Having CF takes up a lot of time in my life with daily treatments and lots of doctor appointments. Sometimes I wonder what I'd be doing with all my time if I didn't have to do treatments...Along the same lines, it's annoying to have to lug all of my treatments with me whenever we go out of town.
  • It's always something. I feel like there's always something that is 'wrong' whether it's low lung function, low weight, chest infection, diabetes scare....they never seem to all be 'good' at the same time.
  • CF is expensive.
  • It's emotionally tolling. It took me a long time to accept CF as a part of my life. It's always in the back of my mind that my health can decline, and that one day I might have to be in the hospital regularly with IVs, and that one day I might have to be listed for a lung transplant.

With all of this being said, to me it seems like the Pros far out-weigh the Cons here, for me. But I would still never wish that anyone would have to go through this. I can't say that I wish I never had CF because I don't know what kind of person I would have become without it and I am very proud of the person I am today. If I could get rid of CF today, I'd gladly do that because I'd still have the understanding and appreciation from living with CF for nearly 25 years...if that makes any sense.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Colleen. I connected with every bullet. I agree the pros outweigh the cons in my life now as well. Every sinle bullet you have here is what I would have said. Yes I fear the cons of IVs and transplant list. But I know that I will be doing everything I can to keep those out of my life for as long as I can. This CF online community is one truly amazing place. Once CF stands for Cure Found all of us will have the new CF slogan Connected Forever. I'm so glad that we have this friendship online and I guess we have CF to thank for that cyster! I always look forward to talking with you my Vest buddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to use this golden opportunity to say thanks to Chief Dr Wealthy for curing my ( DIABETES VIRUS) with his Herbal Medicine. i have being suffering from DIABETES Virus for 5 years now,and since then was using drug over which keep me till today,but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a lady who was cured for DIABETES by Chief Dr Wealthy so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact him via email: wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Chief Dr Wealthy have cure for any types of disease blows, call or Whats App +2348105150446.

    ReplyDelete