Sunday, May 19, 2013

CF Awareness Month Blog #18 & 19

I would definitely say I'm a little crazy about having a routine/schedule. That helps me get my treatments done and usually not at crazy hours of the day. I also have one of those days of the week pill organizer things which really keeps me on track with taking all of my vitamins each day. It's much easier filling that thing once a week than getting one pill out of eight different bottles each morning.
As far as hygiene, I would not consider myself a germ-a-phobe....obviously, I am a kindergarten teacher! But really, I try not to be too weird about germs. I feel like I need to be exposed to things like 'normal' people to help build my immune system.
Probably the most annoying thing, and the thing I need to get better about is cleaning/sterilizing my neb cups. Right now I clean them in hot soapy water after each treatment. I'm supposed to boil them often to also help kill the germs, but that is so annoying. I'm very anal about keeping the mouth pieces and cups together (I label each neb cup so I'm not using the same cup for different meds), so I don't like to throw all of the pieces from all three cups into boiling water at the same time...maybe that's just something I need to get over. I've read that using a baby bottle sterilizer helps some CF patients, so I might look into that. We currently don't have a dishwasher (machine -- I'm the dishwasher), so that's not an option for me right now.

Haha, I love that the picture says, "OMG don't start me!" because that's exactly what I'm thinking. If you know me at all, you know how much I HATE when people smoke!!!!! After growing up with some family members who've smoked, having a good friend with CF whose parents smoked (UGH!), living in apartments with smoking neighbors, I am not afraid to tell the world how STUPID I think it is!!!!

But honestly, I think it comes with having CF and appreciating my body a little more than someone who doesn't have any health issues. I was born with crappy lungs and I work my butt off daily to keep them in tip-top shape because I want to lead a long, healthy life. Where (I feel) someone who's born without any health issues assumes they're going to lead a long, healthy life, so why not smoke a little bit. Again, I have no idea what's going on in their head, and honestly want to slap them sometimes for smoking - haha - but that's just my guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment